Whimbrel concerns

Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker)

Hi again, all.... first, thanks to Joe Morlan about the correct ID of the
American Pipit sub-group? race? I just call them 'forms' for my own notes.

On to Whimbrels...

Is it just me, or does it seem like Whimbrels were sparse here in the
latter half 2021?

eBird has the last report (with photos) of Whimbrel on the Mendocino coast
on September 16 of 2021. I saw one on the 17th but did not report it to
eBird. I am sure there have to be other reports without photos on eBird
since then?

In a typical year, I see Whimbrels on the Mendocino Coast from March
through December. I was gone from Aug 2020 to Aug 2021. That Whimbrel I saw
on the 17th of September 2021 was the *only* Whimbrel I have seen since I
got home. Not for lack of birding the shorelines from Westport to
Mendocino, as often as possible. I also see on eBird some huge flocks from
earlier in the year during the Mendocino SOS.

(I remember times seeing them foraging for food on the Pudding Creek
Headlands in the tall grasses, as well as on the Glass Beach Headlands in
summer after the breeding season up north)

While I was in Santa Barbara County, (Aug 2020 to Aug 2021) I saw a few
on the days I could go birding at the coast (beaches from Vandenberg to
Santa Barbara), but not as many as I had been used to seeing up here during
that same time stretch. (of course, I didn't go birding as often as I am
used to, while I was down there),

It just seems like there are by far fewer.... or is this the lull before
the migratory storm? *smile*

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a drop in shorebird numbers,
most specifically the Whimbrel. I should have just left it at that. Sorry
for writing a book!

Lisa D Walker-Roseman
Fort Bragg-Cleone