Topics

Sooty Shearwaters

Tim Bray

28 August 2020 - For the past three days at least, there has been a spectacular flight of Sooty Shearwaters along the Mendocino Coast. Reports are coming in from Gualala to Fort Bragg.  Today while fishing about a mile out from Elk we were surrounded by them; I have no way of counting or even guessing at numbers, but it was certainly in the tens of thousands. They were circling around for a couple of hours, apparently smelling a big school of anchovies, and occasionally diving into the water after them. The fisherman with me said the same thing happened two days ago, only with even larger numbers.

Lots of people are seeing them and wondering what they are.  Here's a good article about the phenomenon:
http://www.mobileranger.com/santacruz/migration-madness-the-sooty-shearwaters-are-back