Topics

Rose-breasted X Black-headed Grosbeak

Steve Stump

8/27/20 650pm

I found this bird at Usal Campground on August 14th (just downloaded the pics). Does anyone want to turn this into a Rose-breasted Grosbeak? I only got photos of the bird facing away. It was at the bottom of the hill coming in at the bramble bushes Steve Stump.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S72442423

Kitty & Creek Norris

Hi Steve
I agree with you on the ID. We have them here in our garden/forest, Irene Peak SW of Willits, at 3000’. The same bird returns to us every year. Our female has that stripe on the crown of the head, and a fancier song than the Black Headed, which is also here. I sketched her, and listened closely, and could only come up with the hybrid ID after much searching online.
Kitty Norris
SW of Willits