Rare Yellow Purple Finch at Our Feeder

Erica Fielder

Hi All,

Larry and I have been watching and photographing a yellow purple (not house) finch at our feeder for the last two weeks on Simpson Lane near Mitchel Creek. Unfortunately, the camera used to photograph is complicated and Larry hasn’t been able to download the photo to post. However, the bird has all the features of the purple: a bit bulkier than a house finch, subtle eye stripes, yellow wash over all back and breast feathers.

The Birders’ Handbook says it is very rare and mostly seen in the southwest.

Erica Fielder

Erica Fielder
707-671-4072

See unique interpretive displays on our new website:
https://www.ericafielderstudio.com

See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook page:

Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker)

There's an article on carotenism in Purple Finches, here:

https://archive.westernfieldornithologists.org/archive/V48/48(1)-p069-p071.pdf

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 11:50:50 -0800, "Erica Fielder" <efielder@...>
wrote:
Hi All,
Larry and I have been watching and photographing a yellow purple (not
house) finch at our feeder for the last two weeks on Simpson Lane near
Mitchel Creek. Unfortunately, the camera used to photograph is
complicated and Larry hasn’t been able to download the photo to post.
However, the bird has all the features of the purple: a bit bulkier than
a house finch, subtle eye stripes, yellow wash over all back and breast
feathers.
The Birders’ Handbook says it is very rare and mostly seen in the
southwest.
Erica Fielder
*******************************************Erica
Fielderefielder@...
[1]707-671-4072
See unique interpretive displays on our new
website:https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [2]

See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook
page: https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio [3]

Links:
------
[1] mailto:efielder@...