Topics

Need Help With Small Warbler ID

Erica Fielder

Cornell Ornithology says the hermit warbler hybridizes with Townsend's. That might be the reason it looked a bit different. Maybe a drop Townsend’s making the demarkations so distinct.

The wonder of nature.

Erica

On Sep 26, 2020, at 2:15 PM, Tim Bray <tbray@...> wrote:

Hi Erica,

I struggle with warbler ID when I'm looking right at them, so maybe am not the best help... having said that, your description sounds to me like a Hermit Warbler. Plain yellow face plus white wing-bars on dark gray wings, not many warblers have that combo. Hermits are not uncommon out here but they are very hard to see because they spend almost all their time high in the canopy of tall conifers. In spring they will sometimes respond to calls and come down where you can see them, and in fall on migration (i.e. now) they can occasionally be found in gardens and thickets. Beautiful little birds!

--
Cheers,
Tim

On 9/26/2020 1:39 PM, Erica Fielder efielder@... [Mendobirds] wrote:

Hello All,

The small warbler was bathing at our tiny pond. Clear yellow face to above the eye and high forehead, yellow front of neck down to breast. Pale gray-white fading from yellow breast to lower breast down to beneath tail. Strong white-dark wing  bars. Darkish gray, maybe dark olive, hood at top of head and back of neck with clear demarkation between yellow face the edge of dark gray on back of neck. Gray back including tail.

Can someone please help us identify this bird?

Thank you,

Erica

Erica Fielder
707-671-4072

See unique interpretive displays on our new website:
https://www.ericafielderstudio.com

See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook page:

Posted by: Erica Fielder <efielder@...>

Listowners: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-owner@...
Turn off email delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-nomail@...
Resume email delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-normal@...