Nashville Warbler, MCBG

Tim Bray

16 November 2022 - On the monthly "Early Bird" walk at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Garden, we tallied a remarkable 63 species of birds. The best was a Nashville Warbler in the "flannel bush" near the north trail adjacent to the equipment yard (same place we had Hooded Orioles last year).

Our species count was helped by six identified species of Gulls (Western, California, Herring, Glaucous-winged, Heermann's, Short-billed). We also had a tantalizing fly-by glimpse of a very pale Gull - possibly a Glaucous, but none of us saw it well enough to be sure.

Flights of Pacific Loons and Surf Scoters are picking up. There was a near-constant stream of Loons flying south, low over the ocean a mile or two out, and occasional large flocks (100+) of Surf Scoters also going south.

eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S122533820