Long-tailed Duck, Garcia River mouth

Tim Bray

12 November 2022 - On the MCAS "Raptor Run" field trip we found an apparent juvenile Long-tailed Duck in the Garcia River estuary, near the river mouth. There are a number of ducks present and it took us a while to notice this bird. It was initially found near a Common Loon and the size disparity made the duck look tiny. It was foraging a lot and we got brief looks at it between dives, but enough to establish the ID. It has a pale face with a dark eye and a darker patch (but not black like an adult female) behind the cheek.