July 4 Parade, Mendocino

Tim Bray

The Mendocino Coast Audubon Society's Precision Spotting Scope Drill Squad (MCASPSSDS) will once again march in the Mendocino July 4 Parade. Join us for an hour of glory as we migrate up Main Street, duck-walking and plover-scurrying our way between demonstrations of the Elegant Turn and Royal Turn, led by our fabulous Black Oystercatcher mascot! At the end of the parade route there will be cold beer and maybe a barbecue grill (the functional equivalent of a pile of seaweed on the beach).

Let's meet for practice at 10:30 in the parking area at the west end of Little Lake Street (where it curves north and becomes Heeser Drive). We'll run through our routines a few times, get our shtick together, and then find our position in the parade. Bring a spotting scope if you have one, or even just a tripod, and wear your nerdiest birding gear. We also need a couple of people to carry the MCAS banner, a perfect job for someone without a scope. The more of us there are, the better we look, so come out and join us for some homegrown fun!