Topics

ID challenge!! - sound recordings from Ukiah

geogibbs

Greetings Mendobirders,

I haven’t tried this before, but here’s to crowdsourced bird ID-ing!   Just before 6 this morning in Ukiah I heard a bird calling which I couldn’t recognize.  Compared to a Western Tanager, the call seemed too raspy, low-pitched and long, though it did have a rattle quality.   Somehow it seemed more reminiscent of a Corvid, though no locals make this call that I know of.   Here are the recordings, posted under ‘bird sp.,” at bottom of the list:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S72428053     There are two recordings and I’ve notated the times of the calls in question in the media notes.

If anyone knows what it is let me know.  I’d love to compare to recordings on xeno-canto or Macaully.

Cheers,
George Gibbs
Ukiah

Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker)

It sounds like a jay trying to imitate a frog...?

bottom of the list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S72428053 [1] There are
two recordings and I’ve notated the times of the calls in question in
the media notes.
If anyone knows what it is let me know. I’d love to compare to
recordings on xeno-canto or Macaully.
Cheers, George Gibbs Ukiah

Links:
------
[1] https://ebird.org/checklist/S72428053
[2] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8485
[3]
mailto:ggibbs@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20ID%20challenge%21%21%20-%20sound%20recordings%20from%20Ukiah
[4] https://groups.io/mt/76214120/974701
[5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
[6] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
[7] mailto:Mendobirds+owner@groups.io
[8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

geogibbs

Update- Thanks to the folks that responded.  I heard calls again this morning and I now believe that George Chaniot’s suggestion of Pacific Chorus Frog (Sierran Treefrog?) is the likely answer.  My observation doesn’t match my previous experience with treefrogs or the recordings I’ve found online but nonetheless a bird seems unlikely now that I’ve reconsidered.  I’ll leave observation up on eBird a little longer but will delete it if I don’t hear any other likely (bird sp.) suggestions.

Cheers!
GG

On Aug 15, 2020, at 2:03 PM, geogibbs via groups.io <ggibbs@...> wrote:

Greetings Mendobirders,

I haven’t tried this before, but here’s to crowdsourced bird ID-ing!   Just before 6 this morning in Ukiah I heard a bird calling which I couldn’t recognize.  Compared to a Western Tanager, the call seemed too raspy, low-pitched and long, though it did have a rattle quality.   Somehow it seemed more reminiscent of a Corvid, though no locals make this call that I know of.   Here are the recordings, posted under ‘bird sp.,” at bottom of the list:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S72428053     There are two recordings and I’ve notated the times of the calls in question in the media notes.

If anyone knows what it is let me know.  I’d love to compare to recordings on xeno-canto or Macaully.

Cheers,
George Gibbs
Ukiah

Kitty & Creek Norris

I listened and agree with George Chaniot.
Kitty

On Aug 16, 2020, at 8:54 AM, geogibbs via groups.io <ggibbs@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert Keiffer

George, definitely an amphibian ... either the Pacific Chorus Frog or Western Toad along with the CA scrub jay.  Without checking reference recordings I would guess the P. Chorus Frog.