Hummingbird numbers and other mysteries.

Sarah Grimes

I am holding onto hope that this is just my observation. I’m seeing far fewer hummingbirds around my usually busy yard as well as at the Botanical Gardens.
Here’s hoping they are just avoiding me for some reason.
Also, I caught a glimpse of what I first thought was a Western Kingbird on the fence west of the old runway (Noyo Headlands) I’ve seen them there before.
As I pondered the glimpse, I kept seeing the peach of a Scissor tailed Fly Catcher.
Now I feel confused as to what I saw.
I do know it was beautiful, and that I saw it there on 5/15 at around 10:30 a m and I did not find it in 5/16.
Perhaps someone wants to solve my little mystery:)
Happy Birding ~

Sarah

Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker)

There are recorded hybrids of Scissor-tailed and Western Flycatcher's -
some in California ---

https://avianhybrids.wordpress.com/2020/01/12/a-mosaic-hybrid-zone-between-scissor-tailed-flycatcher-and-western-kingbird/

There is other literature out there on this. I wonder if that might be
what you saw?

It was last year that someone saw a male Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at Pt
Cabrillo Lighthouse.

Would sure be interesting if a hybrid was hanging around.

Lisa Walker-Roseman

On Sun, 16 May 2021 17:32:43 -0700, Sarah Grimes <zewa@mcn.org> wrote:
I am holding onto hope that this is just my observation. I’m seeing far
fewer hummingbirds around my usually busy yard as well as at the
Botanical
Gardens.
Here’s hoping they are just avoiding me for some reason.
Also, I caught a glimpse of what I first thought was a Western Kingbird
on
the fence west of the old runway (Noyo Headlands) I’ve seen them there
before.
As I pondered the glimpse, I kept seeing the peach of a Scissor tailed
Fly Catcher.
Now I feel confused as to what I saw.
I do know it was beautiful, and that I saw it there on 5/15 at around
10:30 a m and I did not find it in 5/16.
Perhaps someone wants to solve my little mystery:)
Happy Birding ~

Sarah

Erica Fielder

Hi Sarah,

I also noticed that I’m not seeing hummingbirds. I wonder if the winds and cold are driving them inland. Do folks see them inland? Also, I’m not seeing many insects other than some bumblebees.

Erica

On May 16, 2021, at 5:32 PM, Sarah Grimes <zewa@...> wrote:

I am holding onto hope that this is just my observation.  I’m seeing far fewer hummingbirds around my usually busy yard as well as at the Botanical Gardens.
Here’s hoping they are just avoiding me for some reason.
Also, I caught a glimpse of what I first thought was a Western Kingbird on the fence west of the old runway (Noyo Headlands) I’ve seen them there before.
As I pondered the glimpse,  I kept seeing the peach of a Scissor tailed Fly Catcher.
Now I feel confused as to what I saw.
I do know it was beautiful, and that I saw it there on 5/15 at around 10:30 a m and I did not find it in 5/16.
Perhaps someone wants to solve my little mystery:)
Happy Birding ~

Sarah

Erica Fielder
707-671-4072

See unique interpretive displays on our new website:
https://www.ericafielderstudio.com

See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook page:

Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker)

Seems to be the same down on the Central Coast where I currently am. Over
the winter and early spring, there were a lot of hummingbirds... a few
Rufous came through my mother's yard in March. A single Allen's. Most were
Anna's. Now even the Anna's are gone.

Of course, I was thinking that during nesting season they are going for
more natural foods. I head out to some more wild places and see maybe one
or two different hummingbirds but no large numbers/ I ran into some
scientists in one location who were trapping Allen's Hummingbirds to
extract their DNA. There are two populations of Allen's Hummingbirds - one
is an island species on the Channel and Santa Catalina Islands that will
readily visit feeders. It is thought that they may come over to the
mainland from time to time because, these scientists theorize, the mainland
Allen's are not as easily attracted to feeders as the island birds are.
Plus some overwinter in southern California. So they are using mist nets
and special feeder traps to catch them, extract DNA samples and release
them again. I wish they were banding them, but they aren't. So the DNA will
show if the island birds are interbreeding with the mainland birds and will
also show them where they are wintering.

Typically, when I visit the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens, I see
hummingbirds everywhere. I haven't been able to visit in a while. I live on
the Mendocino coast but am currently on the Central Coast in Santa Barbara
County, taking care of my mom. (She has dementia). I am hoping to be home
before the fall migration starts.

I hope the hummingbird numbers increase soon and I hope they are not
disappearing due to lack of flowers or other foods.

Lisa Walker-Roseman (Feather Forestwalker)

On May 16, 2021, at 5:32 PM, Sarah Grimes wrote:
I am holding onto hope that this is just my observation. I’m seeing far
fewer hummingbirds around my usually busy yard as well as at the
Botanical Gardens.
Here’s hoping they are just avoiding me for some reason.
Also, I caught a glimpse of what I first thought was a Western Kingbird
on the fence west of the old runway (Noyo Headlands) I’ve seen them
there before.
As I pondered the glimpse, I kept seeing the peach of a Scissor tailed
Fly Catcher.
Now I feel confused as to what I saw.
I do know it was beautiful, and that I saw it there on 5/15 at around
10:30 a m and I did not find it in 5/16.
Perhaps someone wants to solve my little mystery:)
Happy Birding ~

Sarah

*******************************************Erica
Fielderefielder@mcn.org
[2]707-671-4072
See unique interpretive displays on our new
website:https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [3]

See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook
page: https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio [4]

Links:
------
[1] mailto:zewa@mcn.org
[2] mailto:efielder@mcn.org
[3] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com
[4] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio/
[5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8638
[6]
mailto:efielder@mcn.org?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
[7] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
[8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
[9] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
[10] mailto:Mendobirds+owner@groups.io
[11] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

Sarah

Same here.  Fewer hummingbirds but we moved 2 miles inland so I thought that might affect our observations.  We only had about a week of the increased Selasphorus spp…Whereas we normally see lots for at least 3 -4 weeks or so.

Lots of honeybees, Erica, I’m happy to report! There is a lot of Borage in this yard and they seem to love the Borage and the rosemary flowers.

Sarah, PT

On May 17, 2021, at 6:23 AM, Erica Fielder <efielder@...> wrote:

[...]

Carol Mandel

I haven’t seen any hummingbirds either and my yard in town by the Ukiah High School is usually full of them.

Carol

On May 17, 2021, at 7:37 AM, Sarah via groups.io <redwoodsinger@...> wrote:

[...]

Susan Tubbesing

We never have a lot of hummers in our yard, but until the last few weeks, we ALWAYS had 2 - 4 Annas, except when they went into hiding while the Rufus and Allen's came through. This year I didn't see any Selasphorus and the past week or two, not even the Anna's are around, but hoping they are sitting on their nests out of sight. A couple of weeks ago, I tried to show some out of area folks at the Gardens how the Grevillea attracted hummers, but then, for the first time, I realized that there were no hummers buzzing around it!
Something's not right in paradise.....but no end to the Band Tailed pigeons (27) and I did have a couple of red crossbills at the feeder this week, so life goes on.
Susan T

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 7:42 AM Carol Mandel <cjmandel12@...> wrote:
[...]

Kitty & Creek Norris

We are 25 miles inland as the hummingbird flies. Lots of hummers, but not as many as last month’s mob scene. I’m thinking they are nesting and running our place in shifts?
Kitty Norris
SW of Willits at 3000'

[...]

John Gallo

Good questions Sarah! The hummingbirds are gone from here too. I live in Inglenook and in years past we had 2-3 breeding pairs on our property. Mostly Anna's, but I seem to remember some Allen's breeding, would need to check my notes.   Last year I think we only had about one pair, of Anna's.  This year we had a single Annas in the fall and now none.  Has anyone had a look at e-bird?  would be interesting to see what percentage of bird individuals observed this year are hummingbirds, compared to last year, or year's previous.  Might be possible to filter the search to terrestrial birds, not sure.

Come to think of it, it is already May 17th.  There should be more bird activity overall here...

Fielderefielder@...

mailto:efielder@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
> [7] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
> [8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
> [9] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
> [10] mailto:Mendobirds+owner@groups.io
> [11] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

John Gallo

The male Anna's is back, just heard doing its courtship display and chirp. Nice.

 Hopefully the lack of responses means everyone else is seeing normal amounts of hummingbirds.  If less than normal please reply to the people on this thread at least, if not reply-all.

Fielderefielder@...
> [2]707-671-4072
> See unique interpretive displays on our new
> website:https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [3]
>
> See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook
> page: https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio [4]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:zewa@...
> [2] mailto:efielder@...
> [3] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com
> [4] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio/
> [5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8638
> [6]

mailto:efielder@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
> [7] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
> [8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
> [9] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
> [10] mailto:Mendobirds+owner@groups.io
> [11] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker)

A single female Anna's has been returning to my mother's yard and feeders,
but that's it so far.....

(Central coast, CA)

Fielderefielder@mcn.org [5]
> [2]707-671-4072
> See unique interpretive displays on our new
> website:https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [6] [3]
>
> See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook
> page: https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio [7] [4]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:zewa@mcn.org [8]
> [2] mailto:efielder@mcn.org [9]
> [3] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [10]
> [4] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio/ [11]
> [5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8638 [12]
> [6]

mailto:efielder@mcn.org
[13]?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
> [7] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701 [14]
> [8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post [15]
> [9] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701 [16]
> [10] mailto:Mendobirds+owner@groups.io [17]
> [11] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub [18]

Links:
------
[1] http://groups.io
[2] mailto:gmail.com@groups.io
[3] mailto:feather@mcn.org
[4] mailto:efielder@mcn.org
[5] mailto:Fielderefielder@mcn.org
[6] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com
[7] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio
[8] mailto:zewa@mcn.org
[9] mailto:efielder@mcn.org
[10] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com
[11] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio/
[12] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8638
[13] mailto:efielder@mcn.org
[14] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
[15] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
[16] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
[17] mailto:Mendobirds%2Bowner@groups.io
[18] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub
[19] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8648
[20]
mailto:gallo.ja@gmail.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
[21] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
[22] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
[23] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
[24] mailto:Mendobirds+owner@groups.io
[25] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

jackson_us

I have had a report from a fellow who overlooks the ocean in Gualala and the hummingbirds and small birds are gone from his gardens. He’s very distressed. However, just a little south, a couple who overlook the Gualala River and the ocean had multitudes of hummers. My theory is, along with nesting, we’ve had extraordinary strong winds. I think the birds, along with the butterflies, are at more sheltered spots. We have a warm weekend coming up – if there is no wind, let’s pay attention and see if we spot more hummers. Fingers crossed!
Jeanne, Anchor Bay

Fielderefielder@...
> [2]707-671-4072
> See unique interpretive displays on our new
> website:https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [3]
>
> See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook
> page: https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio [4]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:zewa@...
> [2] mailto:efielder@...
> [3] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com
> [4] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio/
> [5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8638
> [6]

mailto:efielder@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
> [7] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
> [8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
> [9] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
> [10] mailto:mailto:Mendobirds%2Bowner@groups.io
> [11] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

Linda Perkins

I never get more than a few hummers at my feeder, 3 miles up Albion Ridge Road. They disappeared for a few weeks. As of Sunday, May 23rd, I've seen the return of a male and a female Anna's as well as a male Allen's. Heard the courtship flight of the Anna's today.

Linda

Fielderefielder@...
> [2]707-671-4072
> See unique interpretive displays on our new
> website:https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [3]
>
> See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook
> page: https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio [4]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:zewa@...
> [2] mailto:efielder@...
> [3] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com
> [4] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio/
> [5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8638
> [6]

mailto:efielder@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
> [7] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
> [8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
> [9] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
> [10] mailto:mailto:Mendobirds%2Bowner@groups.io
> [11] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

Adam Lane

One feeder is guarded by a male Anna's but we've seen as many as a dozen at one time at the 2nd feeder. Lake Mendocino area, NW corner

Fielderefielder@...
> [2]707-671-4072
> See unique interpretive displays on our new
> website:https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [3]
>
> See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook
> page: https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio [4]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:zewa@...
> [2] mailto:efielder@...
> [3] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com
> [4] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio/
> [5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8638
> [6]

mailto:efielder@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
> [7] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
> [8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
> [9] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
> [10] mailto:mailto:Mendobirds%2Bowner@groups.io
> [11] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

Erica Fielder

Our hummingbirds seem to be slowly returning, too. Three Allen's visited these past few days. No Anna’s yet. The wind might have been what drove them away for awhile. Smart birds!

Erica

Fielderefielder@...
> [2]707-671-4072
> See unique interpretive displays on our new
> website:https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [3]
>
> See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook
> page: https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio [4]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:zewa@...
> [2] mailto:efielder@...
> [3] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com
> [4] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio/
> [5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8638
> [6]

mailto:efielder@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
> [7] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
> [8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
> [9] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
> [10] mailto:mailto:Mendobirds%2Bowner@groups.io
> [11] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

Erica Fielder
707-671-4072

See unique interpretive displays on our new website:
https://www.ericafielderstudio.com

See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook page:

Sarah Quentin

Inglenook area north of Fort Bragg- I'm seeing one male Anna's and three females at the feeder this year. In March there were 2 male Anna's and two male Rufous as well. The Rufous always leave by April. Usually, there are some Allen's as well all summer, but not this year. It is unusual to see no male Allen's in summer.

Question for the group: Has anyone noticed a big increase in bluebirds in the past 3 years, and a decrease in starlings? The last 2 years I have seen three pair of nesting bluebirds in the Inglenook neighborhood closer to the highway. This year there is only one nesting pair and the starling numbers have increased. They compete for nesting sites. Has anyone else noticed this?

Fielderefielder@...
> [2]707-671-4072
> See unique interpretive displays on our new
> website:https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [3]
>
> See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook
> page: https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio [4]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:zewa@...
> [2] mailto:efielder@...
> [3] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com
> [4] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio/
> [5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8638
> [6]

mailto:efielder@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
> [7] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
> [8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
> [9] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
> [10] mailto:mailto:Mendobirds%2Bowner@groups.io
> [11] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

Sarah Grimes

Interesting discussion.
I remember we had a similar one last year around this time.
Thanks all!
Sarah

Fielderefielder@...
> [2]707-671-4072
> See unique interpretive displays on our new
> website:https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [3]
>
> See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook
> page: https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio [4]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:zewa@...
> [2] mailto:efielder@...
> [3] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com
> [4] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio/
> [5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8638
> [6]

mailto:efielder@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
> [7] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
> [8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
> [9] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
> [10] mailto:mailto:Mendobirds%2Bowner@groups.io
> [11] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

Erica Fielder
707-671-4072

See unique interpretive displays on our new website:
https://www.ericafielderstudio.com

See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook page:

Tim Bray

Sarah - Yes, I too have noticed an apparent increase in both number and distribution of Western Bluebirds along the coast, and a marked decline in Eurasian Starlings. The latter is a widespread phenomenon that has been documented in many places.

As for Hummingbirds, we have the usual complement of both Anna's and Allen's. Numbers are hard to estimate but I'd say they are down somewhat from the peak a couple of years ago. Most of the females are probably on nests, although I think the Anna's have already hatched out their first clutches.

--
Cheers,
Tim

Fielderefielder@...
> [2]707-671-4072
> See unique interpretive displays on our new
> website:https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [3]
>
> See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook
> page: https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio [4]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:zewa@...
> [2] mailto:efielder@...
> [3] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com
> [4] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio/
> [5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8638
> [6]

mailto:efielder@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
> [7] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
> [8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
> [9] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
> [10] mailto:mailto:Mendobirds%2Bowner@groups.io
> [11] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

karydairy

I am in Lake County the past 6years and we usually have a good selection of hummingbirds coming to our farm. Neighbors Formosa tree is usually filled with them, this year no.
This year we have practically none.... maybe 1-2   , I was just talking about this with my daughter.

Fielderefielder@...
> [2]707-671-4072
> See unique interpretive displays on our new
> website:https://www.ericafielderstudio.com [3]
>
> See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook
> page: https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio [4]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:zewa@...
> [2] mailto:efielder@...
> [3] https://www.ericafielderstudio.com
> [4] https://www.facebook.com/ericafielderstudio/
> [5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8638
> [6]

mailto:efielder@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20Hummingbird%20numbers%20and%20other%20mysteries.
> [7] https://groups.io/mt/82878721/974701
> [8] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
> [9] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
> [10] mailto:Mendobirds+owner@groups.io
> [11] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

John Gallo

Hi All,

Thanks to all that have replied on various branches of this thread.

Lynne, your email about the decline of hummingbirds  is very telling.  Sounds almost exactly like our place and neighborhood. And I am hearing from others that they have seen some abnormal activity here on the coast too. It may be wind related, but may be something else.  We are still not even sure yet if IT is a thing.

In this email I propose some data driven ways to not only determine if it is a thing, and if so, to hopefully get an indication of how big of a thing it may be.  I also speculate on a potential cause that is unlikely, but if it is the cause, or even a partial cause, then it is a major dilemma. This ratio is motivating.

PART 1: Can we use previous observation data to look at this?

1) Longshot wish here, but who knows...  For one, does anyone know how to query e-bird by species and time period to see how many Anna's Hummingirds were seen in the previous few years in our region? Would be ideal to know something about survey effort too, like number of lists submitted in each of those years, but that might be more difficult to obtain at first. (I'm pretty sure we can get it later if we are following scientific protocols.)

Of course we could do it for the other species as well but we need to choose one, so probably best to go with the most common.

2) What do our point count data say? I know of two long term point count studies, (Big River and Pt. Cabrillo), but maybe there are more.

Part 2: Also, has anything in particular changed this year compared to other years?

Some of you may answer with "5G" because of headlines like the following from Dana Dovey of Newsweek:.

"Radiation From Cellphones, Wi-Fi Is Hurting the Birds and the Bees; 5G May Make It Worse" :

BUT  keep in mind that:

1) Steve Rousseau of the National Audubon Society says that 5G is not known to kill birds: https://www.audubon.org/news/no-5g-radio-waves-do-not-kill-birds
and
2) 5G has not yet reached Mendo and Lake Counties, according to the Verizon Map at least.  If take a look at that map, https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/.  it looks to be absent here but pretty ubiquitous in the Bay Area, including Sonoma Co.

I'd say the jury is still out, if we are even that far in the trial. But I will admit I've only skimmed the Rousseau article, and did not even take the time to find out if the Dovey article pointed to the same European journal article as the Rousseau article.

PART 3: Closing thoughts:

Anyway, if anyone has a chance to look at the ebird data and let us know, that would be great. It just can't be me, as I have completely overcommitted all of my volunteer time.

If this gets legs, folks from the Cornell Lab have offered in the past to just send me a specific data dump if there is a committed person or team ready to analyze, as long as the data are not sensitive.

Which reminds me, if this becomes politicized, it makes things more sensitive. So this is not to become a thread for wild 5G theories/videos and then blowback about those theories and youtube videos.  Please. Thank goodness this is not the MCN announce list.

And a disclaimer for what it is worth, I am like most other people and prefer faster download and uploads on my phone compared to slower. More could be said on this, but I'll stop there.

Thanks,

John

Fielderefielder@...