First Osprey seen! And Violet-green Swallows, plus thousand of Cacklers.

jackson_us

3/6/22

Hi All,

  Two Gualala residents report seeing an Osprey yesterday at Cooks Beach, March 5, 2022. Also, the first Violet-green swallows arrived in Timber Cove (I know, that’s Sonoma county) on Feb. 28th. I have Mel Smith in Point Arena watching his nesting boxes. I think of the Ospreys returning around the first day of spring and the swallows arriving around St. Patrick’s day. So, like everything else this year, they are early.

  And long strings of Aleutian Cackling Geese were seen last week headed north, in great numbers.

Jeanne, Anchor Bay

Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker)

I saw Violet-green Swallows at Caspar Pond last week as well as the
Enchanted Forest Trail this morning with Kent Leland and Shannon Underhill

Lisa D Walker-Roseman,
Fort Bragg/Cleone

On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 09:16:14 -0800, "jackson_us" <jackson2@...> wrote:
3/6/22

Hi All,

Two Gualala residents report seeing an Osprey yesterday at Cooks Beach,
March 5, 2022. Also, the first Violet-green swallows arrived in Timber
Cove (I know, that's Sonoma county) on Feb. 28th. I have Mel Smith in
Point Arena watching his nesting boxes. I think of the Ospreys returning
around the first day of spring and the swallows arriving around St.
Patrick's day. So, like everything else this year, they are early.

And long strings of Aleutian Cackling Geese were seen last week headed
north, in great numbers.

Jeanne, Anchor Bay

Links:
------
[1] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8907
[2]
mailto:jackson2@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20First%20Osprey%20seen%21%20And%20Violet-green%20Swallows%2C%20plus%20thousand%20of%20Cacklers.
[3] https://groups.io/mt/89593192/974701
[4] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
[5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
[6] mailto:Mendobirds+owner@groups.io
[7] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

jackson_us

3/6/22

And just now, I looked through my spotting scope and there was an osprey perched on the nest my husband and I have watched through the years here in Anchor Bay. So, a returning male, it sure looks like! Diane Hichwa reminded me the Sea Ranch bird count had one osprey in January, so we know one sometimes stays on the coast overwinter. But this is the first sighting of one on this nest since last year. More to follow…

Jeanne

  Two Gualala residents report seeing an Osprey yesterday at Cooks Beach, March 5, 2022. Also, the first Violet-green swallows arrived in Timber Cove (I know, that’s Sonoma county) on Feb. 28th. I have Mel Smith in Point Arena watching his nesting boxes. I think of the Ospreys returning around the first day of spring and the swallows arriving around St. Patrick’s day. So, like everything else this year, they are early.

  And long strings of Aleutian Cackling Geese were seen last week headed north, in great numbers.

Jeanne, Anchor Bay

&#92; LFK&#92; Liquid Fusion Kayaking

Yess!
On the Look Out!