Topics

Elegant Terns, Sooty Shearwaters, and other birds

Tim Bray

12 August 2020 (sorry for late report) - A steady stream of Elegant Terns flew north over the ocean just outside Albion Cove in the morning. They vocalized a lot but didn't really fly around much and I never saw one dive; they seemed intent on getting somewhere else. (Probably Humboldt Bay.)

Sooty Shearwaters were flying around fairly close-in as well - I saw at least two inside the buoy. Fog was pretty thick and persistent all morning and I have seen Sooties come in really close when it's foggy. Perhaps they lose sight of land? Anyway, it was really cool to see Shearwaters from a kayak.

At dawn, very loud and insistent Osprey vocalizations, with Ravens also making a fuss, alerted me to an adult Bald Eagle flying down the river, over the bridge, and presumably out to his regular perch on the rocks at the north end of the cove (he disappeared in the fog).

Fair numbers of Red-necked Phalaropes were working wrack lines and flying around. There were also small flocks of some other small shorebirds flying south.

Lots of Common Murres, including chicks following lone males on the water - considerable vocalizing between them - and flocks of presumed females going mostly north.

First juvenile Pigeon Guillemots I've seen on the water this year as well. Handsome birds.

I saw one small flock of what looked like Scoters but they were too distant to be sure.

The birding was way better than the fishing!

--

Carol Mandel

I saw a Towhee in Ukiah today.

CJ Mandel

On Aug 13, 2020, at 7:56 PM, Tim Bray <tbray@...> wrote:

[...]

Francois Christen

We saw three baby Pacific Slope Flycatchers leave their nest last week from the eaves of our house presumably never to return. Boy did it happen quickly!
Francois Christen

10951 Big Meadow Road
PO Box 167
Philo CA 95466-0167