Aleutian Cackling Geese on the move

jackson_us

2/27/21

Beginning with last Sunday, February 21st, I’ve received reports of large flocks of loud geese flying over the bluffs and water. I’ve received reports every day since last Sunday of more, all  headed north.  Looks like the Aleutian Cackling Geese are on the move.

This next sighting was on The Sea Ranch, so not Mendocino County, but I thought you’d might like to know. A Black-legged Kittiwake ran into a window, and was unfortunately killed. The bird has two tags on it, and interested people are arranging to get the body to the Cal Academy, as they have expressed interest. This was learned from one of the tags:

I submitted the number on the metal band to the federal Bird Banding Laboratory (a project of the USGS) and received this report back about the Black-legged Kittiwake.INFORMATION FROM OUR FILES:
Species: Black-legged Kittiwake
Date banded: 07/03/2002
Banding Location: MIDDLETON ISLAND, VALDEZ-CORDOVA CENSUS AREA, ALASKA, USA
Age: WAS TOO YOUNG TO FLY WHEN BANDED IN 2002
Sex: UNKNOWN

Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay