RIP Ron LeValley

David Jensen

5 June 2022. Our friend Ron LeValley has passed away. He was a great teacher, tour leader and photographer. He will be missed by all who had the pleasure to call him Friend.

Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker)

I for one, will miss him a lot. He was such a font of knowledge and inspiration. He helped fuel my daughter's desires to embark on a marine naturalist position so she could study Orcas in Washington state - which she is now doing! He helped me early on with my identifications of shorebirds starting around 2005. He helped me learn my gulls, as well. I will miss seeing his car with the license plate LARUS and of course, seeing his smile and speaking with him in various locations on the coast. Godspeed, Ron! You are missed by so many!

Feather

On 2022-06-05 11:57 am, David Jensen wrote:
5 June 2022. Our friend Ron LeValley has passed away. He was a great
teacher, tour leader and photographer. He will be missed by all who
had the pleasure to call him Friend.
Links:
------
[1] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8930
[2] https://groups.io/mt/91563107/974701
[3] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
[4] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
[5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

Erica Fielder

Larry and I will miss Ron, too. He so generously took time to verify facts and provide photos for many of my interpretive panels ( I always insisted on paying him), and taught us so much over the many years I’ve known him. He leaves a great gap in this community’s collective knowledge. Tears come to my eyes as I say this.

Erica

On Jun 5, 2022, at 11:57 AM, David Jensen <djensen@...> wrote:

5 June 2022. Our friend Ron LeValley has passed away. He was a great teacher, tour leader and photographer. He will be missed by all who had the pleasure to call him Friend.

Erica Fielder
707-671-4072

See unique interpretive displays on our new website:
https://www.ericafielderstudio.com

See more interpretive panels about nature and culture on our Facebook page:

Diane Hichwa

Ron helped us many times at Sea Ranch as we began seabird studies.

He gave some trainings, shared some photos, did several reports for us

and kept the Pelagic Cormorant Study going along the N Coast—which he also reported to the Pacific Seabird Group.

He was also part of the Black Oystercatcher studies to understand more about their needs on the north coast and anticipating changes as climate conditions change.

And he was a superb photographer!

His legacy continues on.

Diane Hichwa

Email: dhichwa@...

Telephone: 707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)

707-483-3130 (cell)

More Tail Wagging!!! Less Barking!!

Millie 2007

_._,_

Charlene McAllister

Thank you Diane.  I know you've been through your own grief process

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 10:56 AM Diane Hichwa <dhichwa@...> wrote:

Ron helped us many times at Sea Ranch as we began seabird studies.

He gave some trainings, shared some photos, did several reports for us

and kept the Pelagic Cormorant Study going along the N Coast—which he also reported to the Pacific Seabird Group.

He was also part of the Black Oystercatcher studies to understand more about their needs on the north coast and anticipating changes as climate conditions change.

And he was a superb photographer!

His legacy continues on.

Diane Hichwa

Email: dhichwa@...

Telephone: 707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)

707-483-3130 (cell)

More Tail Wagging!!! Less Barking!!

Millie 2007

_._,_

NANCY AND EUGENE HUNN

Ron was well known and loved by many of us in the bay area. We would appreciate knowing more about what happened and if any memorials are planned. Notices could be shared on northbaybirds@groups.io.

Gene Hunn
Petaluma

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 10:56 AM Diane Hichwa <dhichwa@...> wrote:etaluma

Ron helped us many times at Sea Ranch as we began seabird studies.

He gave some trainings, shared some photos, did several reports for us

and kept the Pelagic Cormorant Study going along the N Coast—which he also reported to the Pacific Seabird Group.

He was also part of the Black Oystercatcher studies to understand more about their needs on the north coast and anticipating changes as climate conditions change.

And he was a superb photographer!

His legacy continues on.

Diane Hichwa

Email: dhichwa@...

Telephone: 707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)

707-483-3130 (cell)

More Tail Wagging!!! Less Barking!!

Millie 2007

_._,_

jackson_us

Ron had the broadest nature knowledge of anyone I’ve ever known. He was so kind to me with my book project, Mendonoma Sightings. He fact-checked it for me and allowed me to use several of his photos – I’ve attached one of the photos for you to see. I so enjoyed his near-daily photograph postings. He will be sorely missed.

Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay

[...]

Linda Perkins

Dear All,

Bill and I are so sorry to hear of Ron's passing. He was such a central part of our birding life here for so many years. Bill and I loved to stop in and say hello and have a chat at the gallery.  We so enjoyed the times Ron was able to come out with us and share our adventures on the Navarro Bluff scoping the bird life there. And we especially treasure a photo he took on one of those walks. We will never forget sharing the pelagic trip with Ron during which the humpback whales came to visit our boat and hang out with us. He was so generous with his time and knowledge. He lit up our life with his laughter. We will miss him.

Linda Perkins and Bill Heil

Charlene McAllister

For those who have seen Ron over the last year, you could see that he was not well.  All that energy we were all used to seeing just went away, and while we never got a clear diagnosis of what was happening neurologically, it was clear he knew he would not ever get better.    Thanks for all the memories and thoughts of Ron that all are sharing.