From: Tim Bray
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 8:28 PM
To: mendobirds@groups.io
Subject: [Mendobirds] Ferruginous Hawks, and other birds

10 September 2021 - I went to the Garcia River hoping for some "difficult Fall warblers" but the northerly wind apparently moved them all out. As consolation, a gorgeous Ferruginous Hawk circled over us a couple of times.  Later in the day we saw another FEHA at Stoneboro Road, along with five Red-tailed Hawks. It seems really early for Ferruginous Hawk here.

Red-tails are clearly migrating and we saw at least twice as many today as we did last week, including several juveniles. One such was an intriguing bird: it seemed smaller than most, had a clear throat and chest, an obvious belly-band, but barely discernible patagial bars (I could not be sure I was seeing them at all), a pale supercilium and malar (like juvenile Swainson's), and a pale rump. Did not have the pointed wings of Swainson's. It's a RTHA until proven otherwise but I wonder if there was some interspecific hanky-panky in its parentage.

At the Navarro River there was a pretty juvenile Bonaparte's Gull at the east end of the island.  Not unexpected at this time of year but fun to watch. Nearby were four Short-billed Dowitchers.

At Elk, south of Gunderson Rock a big feeding frenzy was going on, with hundreds of Brown Pelicans, Gulls, Cormorants, and a small flock of Shearwaters (probably Sooty but too far away to be sure). The action was spread over several hundred yards of ocean. There has been a lot of that going on recently; the nearshore waters are full of anchovies and jacksmelt. Brown Pelicans clearly had a successful breeding season down south, as the ratio of juveniles to adults seems to be at least 2:1.