Mountain Bluebirds in Potter Valley

George Chaniot

Sun, 7 Feb 2021 — 4:15-5:25. This afternoon I found a group of at least 26 MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS on lower Pine Avenue in Potter Valley. The location was in the heavily grazed pasture north of the road on the west side of the ‘Burrowing Owl Hill’ about 3/4 mile from Eastside Potter Valley Road.
The bluebirds were foraging in a loose flock on the ground, apparently using the low afternoon sun to help spot flying insects. A few came to the wires and fence-line along the road.
There were also about 12 Western Bluebirds on the ground in the area, but the two species were mostly separated.
No Burrowing Owls today.

George Chaniot
Potter Valley, CA

George Chaniot

Wed, 10 Feb 2021 — 4:30-sunset. This afternoon Vishnu and I refound some MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS from the same location in the last post. There was at least one female on the ground in the pasture and about a half dozen males much further north along a fenceline and driveway beyond the container-house. Unsatisfying views, scope required, but at least some are still around.

George Chaniot
Potter Valley, MEN, CA