Topics

What is this bird?

Kitty & Creek Norris

Found on my driveway at 2500’ elevation 25 miles inland. No tail, no carcass. Dark feathers are about 12” long.
Thanks!
Kitty Norris
SW of Willits

David Barry

Kitty,

That is the head of a Western Gull.
non adult.

Dave Barry
Santa Rosa.

On Saturday, June 27, 2020, 05:08:57 PM PDT, Kitty & Creek Norris <kitty@...> wrote:

Found on my driveway at 2500’ elevation 25 miles inland. No tail, no carcass. Dark feathers are about 12” long.
Thanks!
Kitty Norris
SW of Willits

Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker)

Looks like the head of a California Gull

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 17:08:43 -0700, Kitty & Creek Norris
<kitty@...> wrote:
Found on my driveway at 2500’ elevation 25 miles inland. No tail, no
carcass. Dark feathers are about 12” long. Thanks!Kitty NorrisSW of
Willits

Links:
------
[1] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8447
[2]
mailto:kitty@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20What%20is%20this%20bird%3F
[3] https://groups.io/mt/75163152/974701
[4] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
[5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
[6] mailto:Mendobirds+owner@groups.io
[7] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

David Barry

Hi Tim,

To my eyes it's too large, and too heavy billed. Western Gull bills measure 1.9 - 2.4 inches in length
This is not a first cycle Gull with so much white on the head. Western & California Gulls are 4 cycle Gulls, so plumage changes.
I believe this to be a 2ND cycle Gull.

Those are my thoughts.
I very well could be incorrect. And you may be correct in your ID.

Also interesting what predated it, Peregrine Falcon or Great Horned Owl??

Dave Barry

<kitty@...> wrote:
> Found on my driveway at 2500’ elevation 25 miles inland. No tail, no
> carcass. Dark feathers are about 12” long. Thanks!Kitty NorrisSW of
> Willits
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8447
> [2]

mailto:kitty@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BMendobirds%5D%20What%20is%20this%20bird%3F
> [3] https://groups.io/mt/75163152/974701
> [4] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
> [5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
> [6] mailto:Mendobirds+owner@groups.io
> [7] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/unsub

Kitty & Creek Norris

We have Peregrine Falcons and a Great Horned Owl here, so it could have been either. If it had been resting on the ground it could have been one of the large felines that roam our ranch roads regularly. With the carcass missing, it is possible that our local falcon nest could have been the destination.
Kitty