baby talk

Jessica Morton

Greetings -
While we're sharing baby stories, I have a question: does anyone have thoughts/information about the possible predators of two of the Canada goslings at Caspar Pond last week? I spotted 3 downy goslings swimming with parents Thursday, all 3 feeding in the grass between the adults the day before, and yet Saturday, Sunday and today, just one little guy. Ideas, please?
--

Gratitude is the memory of the heart; therefore forget not to say often,
I have all I ever enjoyed.

jack booth

Jessica, Many Canada goose gosling predator possibilities exist. Most likely include northern harrier, Cooper's hawk, red-shouldered hawk, red-tailed hawk, merlin, peregrine falcon, western gull, coyote, gray fox, ringtail, raccoon, long-tailed weasel, mink, striped skunk, river otter, mountain lion, bobcat, domestic/feral dog, domestic/feral cat, human. There are other less likely candidates such as osprey that take birds rarely but it has been documented and golden eagles that would not be commonly expected to be foraging at caspar pond. Jack Booth

On May 9, 2005, at 9:07 PM, Jessica Morton wrote:

Greetings -
While we're sharing baby stories, I have a question: does anyone have
thoughts/information about the possible predators of two of the
Canada goslings at Caspar Pond last week? I spotted 3 downy goslings
swimming with parents Thursday, all 3 feeding in the grass between
the adults the day before, and yet Saturday, Sunday and today, just
one little guy. Ideas, please?
--

Gratitude is the memory of the heart; therefore forget not to say often,
I have all I ever enjoyed.
----Lydia Child

Yahoo! Groups Links

jack booth

I also forgot to mention opposum, bullfrog, and large-mouth bass. Jack

On May 10, 2005, at 9:32 AM, B. Acord wrote:

Great list Jack. Also Common Ravens and American Crows. Corvids, especially Ravens, will team up on the adults to split there attention till one of the goslings is vulnerable.

~Brian
Brian Acord
Graduate Research Assistant
Humboldt State University, Wildlife