12 April 2021. Great-tailed Grackles - 7 at UWWTP

Dave Bengston

I know this is a continuing bird at the Ukiah Waste Water Treatment Plant. But today, Mike Curry and I saw at least 7 of them. There were two pairs and 3 single males. We saw them clearly more than once all at one time flying together. Part of the time we seemed to be surrounded by them, flying and squawking and squealing in every direction, and we thought there might be ten or eleven. Since it is a rare sighting, we left it a 7. So, count carefully the next time you see them.

I cannot say that I am thrilled by this sighting, even though it is rare. There are many birds I would much rather see in the county. The Red-winged Blackbirds did not seem too thrilled either.

Dave Bengston
Ukiah