Bahl Birdin' in Anderson Valley

Tim Bray

16 April 2022 - Our field trip to the Anderson Valley Brewing Company grounds was fun and productive. We ticked all of the hoped-for birds plus a couple of extras.
For coastal birders, this is a great place to find the oak-woodland birds that don't generally come out to the coast. Highlights for us included:

Bullock's Orioles - at least three pairs - we watched a female gathering nest material and then adding it to her extremely well-hidden nest.
Chipping Sparrow - singing in several places, difficult to see but one did come out to an exposed perch for brief scope views.
Lark Sparrow - a surprise find, excellent views of a pair in a small tree.
Golden Eagle - brief view of one bird as it soared by; fortunately Roger snapped a quick photo to confirm it.

Diversity was good, we tallied 48 taxa in all, including a surprising number of raptors: Bald Eagle, Golden Eagle, Osprey, Red-tailed Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, and American Kestrel. Our reward was delicious beers from the taproom, which we enjoyed with lunch while watching a Mockingbird defend his territory against a Crow.