Re: Mendonoma Sightings: A rare sighting – a Long-billed Curlew, as photographed by Bob Rutemoeller.

Mary Rose Kent

Jeanne, I’ve seen a few these past couple of weeks at or near Caspar Pond.  Or perhaps it’s been the same one each time...
Mary Rose (Kent), Fort Bragg

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 08:47 jackson_us <jackson2@...> wrote:
Oct. 12, 2021
Hi All,
  The sighting of a Long-billed curlew was photographed on Sept. 30th at Manchester State Beach. Also, I am not hearing or seeing ospreys. The ones who occupied the nest I watch in Anchor Bay are gone. Anyone still seeing them?
Jeanne. Anchor Bay

From: mendonomasightings@...
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 5:02 PM
To: jackson2@...
Subject: Mendonoma Sightings: A rare sighting – a Long-billed Curlew, as photographed by Bob Rutemoeller.

follow.it
Mendonoma Sightings
Edit
Unfollow
A rare sighting – a Long-billed Curlew, as photographed by Bob Rutemoeller.
by Jeanne Jackson Oct 12, 2021

Bob Rutemoeller wrote, “I first thought this might be a Whimbrel but after looking up info online, I think it is a Long-billed Curlew. We had walked from Kinney Road along the beach to the Garcia River. There are lots of Kelp piles on the beach, and also lots of Jellyfish.”

Diane Hichwa confirmed the ID of this big shorebird. Just look at that long thin beak!

Thanks to Bob for allowing me to share his photo with you here.

oh my, it's terribly windy here today, Monday. I hope it calms down soon.

Continue Reading
Save Share