Re: Potential Ovenbird 5/30/2021, South Fork Eel

Diane Hichwa

The ovenbirds I remember from MI days get loud, louder, LOUDER
Diane Hichwa

Email: dhichwa@earthlink.net

Telephone: 707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)
707-483-3130 (cell)
More Tail Wagging!!! Less Barking!!
Millie 2007

On 6/2/21, 5:30 PM, "Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker)"
<Mendobirds@groups.io on behalf of feather@mcn.org> wrote:

I hear:

Black-headed Grosbeak
Dark-eyed Junco
Chipping Sparrow

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 16:29:29 -0700, "Philip Georgakakos"
<pgeorgakakos3@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Mendo birders,
On 5-30-2021 I heard an unfamiliar song while out conducting some fish
surveys on the upper South Fork Eel River. The song came from thick
vegetation along the riparian corridor and repeated about every 10
seconds for the roughly ten minutes I tried to locate it. Song was
repeated syllables with a warbler tone that lasted for around 3 seconds.
Phonetically, I heard "zeetle zeetle zeetle zeetle....", but written
descriptions are only so useful. I also recorded this elusive songster,
you can find the recording on my ebird list for the
day: https://ebird.org/checklist/S89463816 [1]. The bird flew across the
river at one point, but I was in a wetsuit and mask, without binos, so
not great conditions to get a good enough look for ID. I shared this
recording with a few friends who independently suggested the
possibility of Ovenbird. Maybe a partial song of a Nashville Warbler? If
you have thoughts, please send them my way.
Unfortunately, this would be a very challenging bird to chase. It was
really active, moving through the dense veg at a steady pace. Also, this
reach of river is very difficult to access. It would probably require a
10+ mile hike, much along the river corridor.
Even though this bird is difficult to chase, I hope many of you have
time
to get out over the next few weeks. Ive been working at and around UC
Berkeleys Angelo Coast Range Reserve, off Wilderness Lodge Rd, as a
graduate student and now Postdoctoral researcher since 2013. This can be
a fun spot to bird, and is open to public walk-in day use. However, dogs
are not allowed on the reserve. Over the last week Ive encountered
nesting American Dippers and a female Common Merganser shepherding a
group of fresh ducklings. Please be respectful of these breeding birds
as
they try to raise young. If you notice any change in their behavior or
they are watching you, youre probably too close and adding stress to
their already stressful tasks. Other sections of the Eel can also be
great. If youd like details on visiting the reserve or want to connect
about good river spots to check out feel free to shoot me an email.
best wishes, Phil GeorgakakosOakland clear:both">

Links:
------
[1] https://ebird.org/checklist/S89463816
[2] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/message/8675
[3]
mailto:pgeorgakakos3@gmail.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BMendobirds%5D%2
0Potential%20Ovenbird%205%2F30%2F2021%2C%20South%20Fork%20Eel
[4] https://groups.io/mt/83272155/974701
[5] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/post
[6] https://groups.io/g/Mendobirds/editsub/974701
[7] mailto:Mendobirds+owner@groups.io