Re: Hummingbird numbers and other mysteries.

Sarah Grimes

Interesting discussion.
I remember we had a similar one last year around this time.
Thanks all!
Sarah

On May 25, 2021, at 4:16 PM, Erica Fielder <efielder@...> wrote:

Our hummingbirds seem to be slowly returning, too. Three Allen's visited these past few days. No Anna’s yet. The wind might have been what drove them away for awhile. Smart birds!

Erica

On May 25, 2021, at 1:29 PM, Linda Perkins <lperkins@...> wrote:

I never get more than a few hummers at my feeder, 3 miles up Albion Ridge Road. They disappeared for a few weeks. As of Sunday, May 23rd, I've seen the return of a male and a female Anna's as well as a male Allen's. Heard the courtship flight of the Anna's today.

Linda

On 5/25/2021 10:54 AM, jackson_us wrote:
I have had a report from a fellow who overlooks the ocean in Gualala and the hummingbirds and small birds are gone from his gardens. He’s very distressed. However, just a little south, a couple who overlook the Gualala River and the ocean had multitudes of hummers. My theory is, along with nesting, we’ve had extraordinary strong winds. I think the birds, along with the butterflies, are at more sheltered spots. We have a warm weekend coming up – if there is no wind, let’s pay attention and see if we spot more hummers. Fingers crossed!
Jeanne, Anchor Bay