White -throated Swifts near Potter Valley

George Chaniot

Fri, 21 May 2021 — For the last several days (18,20,21 May) I have been seeing WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS at the Pioneer Crossing Bridge over the Eel River north of Potter Valley. On the 20th I saw one emerge from beneath the bridge with a fecal sac and drop it in the river. This confirms that they are nesting there again this year - probably in the drainage holes beneath the north end of the bridge.
They are not easy to see, but usually they appear during a 20 minute watch from the top of the bridge - sometimes flying by at eye level so close you can hear their wings slicing through the air. There are also Vaux’s Swifts in the area.

George Chaniot
Potter Valley, CA