Re: Red-breasted Sapsucker....Lake Cleone south side

Diane Hichwa

While Acorns are high on the pecking order, European Starlings will evict
Acorn Woodpeckers!
Diane Hichwa

Email: dhichwa@...

Telephone: 707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)
707-483-3130 (cell)
More Tail Wagging!!! Less Barking!!
Millie 2007

On 2/26/20, 2:46 PM, "Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker)"
<Mendobirds@groups.io on behalf of feather@...> wrote:

I love the Acorn Woodpeckers... they are clowns with wings... and they do
love to pester the jays... if given half a chance, those jays will steal
the eggs and chicks of the Acorn Woodpeckers... and only one pair in a
flock will raised babies, with the other Acorn Woodpeckers helping them,
so
there's a lot to lose.

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 22:24:43 -0800, Susan Tubbesing
<susan.tubbesing@...> wrote:
great pics!! Here in Caspar South, the Acorn Woodpeckers have chased all
my Stellars and CA Scrub Jays out of the yard....had no idea they were
at
the top of the pecking order. The Jays startled the small birds, but
once
they saw it was just the same old Jays, went on with their eating
business . Not so with the Acorn WPs. They actively chase all the other
big birds. All but one of the Stellars have left and he has quieted his
vocalizations dramatically, sort of a whisper now....very interesting.
And the Scrub is hiding in the bushes next to the deck.....not saying a
word.
On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 5:41 PM Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker)
wrote:
....this morning I was walking with a friend when we spotted a
Red-breasted Sapsucker in the pines on the south side of Lake Cleone
along
the dirt trail. It was a nice surprise to see a male in his glorious
colors. He flew north across the lake and was immediately chased by an
Acorn Woodpecker.

He was very cooperative and we got several photos. I have attached
three
here

Happy Birding!

Lisa Walker-Roseman (AKA Feather Forestwalker)
Fort Bragg-Cleone, CA

Links:
------
[1] mailto:feather@...