White Pelican at L. Mendocino

George Chaniot

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 -- At noon today there was a single AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN
at Lake Mendocino sitting on a bon the east side south of the boat-in
campground. It was visable from the south marina - even without binoculars.
Boat activity was very low. I don't have much confidence that it will be
there this weekend when the boat activity may increase 10-fold. I know some
county listers are interested in seeing this species in Mendocino, so I
will continue to report all sightings.
Earlier at the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant there were 2 PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS, a LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 4 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS and 2 SNOWY
EGRETS among the other waders. The first NORTHERN SHOVELLER of the season
was among the Mallards. The south pond is drying out, but there is still
good wader habitat.
I have recently started a new database at the Mendobirds website
for reporting first fall arrivals for the inland parts of Mendocino County.
Check it out at

All Mendobirds subscribers who have a Yahoo ID linked to their membership
should be able to view it, add records, or edit records. Please contribute.

George Chaniot
Potter Valley, MEN, CA