USTP- possible Semipalmated Sandpiper

Matt Brady <zerogambit@...>

Hi everyone. I went back to the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant today, to see if any new birds had come in. A few have, including what was probably a juvenile SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER. I first saw it at the east end of the central pond at around 2:30, and watched it for about a minute before it flew, but several points make me think it was indeed a Semi. These include the length of the bill (it was on the short end for a Semi, and fairly thick and straight), breast, neck, and head pattern, overall coloration and leg color. I'm not going to say for sure that it was indeed a Semi, but its something to keep an eye out for out there.

Other new birds included a SPOTTED SANDPIPER, starting to molt into basic plumage, and three more DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, for a total of five. Gone are the Willet, Long-billed Dowitchers and California Gull. Still around are the GREATER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS, and all the Peeps. A total of 4 GREAT EGRETS were nice to watch. At one point all the birds on the central pond freaked out and started flying around, yelling (which was when I lost the Semi). I then noticed a BOBCAT slinking into the dead dock. I never saw it come out. Shorebird activity is definitely picking up out there. Good birding,

Matt Brady
Ukiah, CA
zerogambit@hotmail.com
AIM: Podoces