Re: USTP 8/2

Matt Brady <zerogambit@...>

Austin Booth, my Aunt and Uncle and I visited the USTP this afternoon, where we met Vishnu. We also saw the WILSON'S PHALEROPES in the central pond, but no Dowitchers. On the northern pond Austin spotted a SEMIPALMATED PLOVER. On the berm between the Duck Pond and the central pond were a baker's dozen CANADA GEESE, and at the east end of the Central Pond were numbers of juvenile TREE and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS, a BLUE-WINGED TEAL and a GREEN HERON. Swimming in the Duck Pond was a DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT, while Chuck's juvenile CALIFORNIA GULL flew around scaring the Blackbirds. in the northern pond was a variety of peeps, including both juvenile and adult WESTERN SANDPIPERS and some LEAST SANDPIPERS.
Good birding,

Matt Brady
Ukiah, CA

Greeting Mendobirders: I birded the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant this
morning (8/2) and there was quite a bit of activity out there. I saw 6
WILSON'S PHALAROPES on the middle pond on the exposed grassy
hummocks. There were also lots of peeps (I saw just LEAST and WESTERN) and
a number of LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS on all 3 oxidation ponds. Among the
hundreds of MALLARDS, etc was the first NORTHERN PINTAIL I've seen here
this summer/fall. There was also a juvenile CALIFORNIA GULL hanging around
the ponds. WILSON'S WARBLERS are already moving south down the river, and
a newly-arrived MARSH WREN was singing in the weeds on the middle
pond. Some of you sharp-eyed birders get on out there! Incidentally,
Barbara and I have been enjoying the hummingbird wars at our feeders since
the SELASPHORUS started arriving about a week ago.

Chuck

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
1550 Deerwood Drive