Round Valley birds 11/17

Chuck & Barbara Vaughn

Greetings Mendobirders- Yesterday 19 folks were able to enjoy the
beautiful fall day birding the Round Valley area on the Peregrine Audubon
field trip. Highlights, as usual, were probably the numbers of raptors
that winter in this open Valley Oak savannah. We saw 5-6 Ferruginous
Hawks at various places around the valley, and a striking Rough-legged
Hawk along Dobie Lane. We are surprised at the absolute absence of
Lewis's Woodpeckers, a species we usually see in large numbers there.
Most of us continued to the Black Butte campground for lunch and some more
birding. Birding was pretty meager there (Rock Wren), but we did see 4
River Otters playing in the Eel River. Finally, we ended the day at the
Dos Rios bridge looking for Chinook. We did find one lonely salmon, but
were rewarded with the Canyon Wren that Steve Stump found beneath the
bridge.

Chuck

--
Chuck and Barbara Vaughn