Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant shorebirds

Chuck & Barbara Vaughn

Greetings Mendobirders- Southward shorebird movement is beginning to pick
up on our coast, and here inland. We are fortunate that the WTP has
excellent muddy habitat presently on the draining north pond, and also
fortunate that Steve Stump is keeping an eye out for us. This morning he
found our first-of-season Long-billed Dowitcher on the N pond. I birded
out there between 715 and 815 and saw the Dowitcher with 25 Western
Sandpipers, 1 Least Sandpiper, 7 Red-necked Phalaropes, and a Dunlin. The
latter bird was a real surprise. An adult molting out of breeding
plumage, it is our first Mendocino County summer record and the earliest
reported locally by more than a month. This is a good year and great
place to look for shorebirds!

Chuck

--
Chuck and Barbara Vaughn