Black-crowned Night-Heron - Cow Mt.

Dave <algott@...>

Yesterday, the 11th, 1:30 - 2, there was an adult Black-crowned Night-Heron at the inlet to the large pond up Mill Creek. It was sitting only about 8 ft over the water at the inlet about 20 feet from the picnic table. It stayed there the entire time I was there moving around with other people pulling up in cars. (I guess it thought it was hidden). This parking lot is also the trailhead for the Valley View Trail.

Access Mill Cr Rd from Old River Rd about 1/2 mile south of Talmage. The ponds are about 2 & 1/2 miles up the canyon.

I was on my way to Rickabaugh Glades which was perfectly delightful. There were no special birds, but I did see Sage Sparrows, Mt. Quail, and California Thrashers. Rickabaugh Glades is only about 5-6 miles from Lakeport on the east side of Cow Mt.

Dave Bengston
Ukiah