Late birds along the coast

Richard Hubacek

Fri Jun 1, 2012--On Thurday the 31st of May (yesterday), I found several birds at Navarro Beach that would have been rare birds if I had found them today. There was a CLARK'S GREBE on the river that's listed in the, Checklist of Birds of Mendocino County, as uncommon in Spring but rare in Summer which starts today. This grebe was in the most obvious breeding plumage that I've ever seen. There were 2 RED-BRESTED MERGANSERS which are fairly common in Spring but rare in summer. There were 6 RED-BRESTED LOONS in the ocean that were common yesterday but would be rare today. Today I found a HOODED MERGANSER at Caspar Creek that would have been rare yesterday but is now exremely rare. The bird was diving and slashing around the pilings and red bricks where the creek comes out of the treed area.

Richard Hubacek
Little River