tubes and bird death traps

Robert Keiffer <rjkeiffer@...>

10 May 2012 - I don't usually carry on with "message" type messages, but I think that this is extremely important to all concerned about birds. And ...this is a follow-up of Kate's recent message and other messages about tub e-type death traps. Ever since "Tubex" or otherwise named "tree shelters" came out onto the market place the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center has used them in various locations around the Center. Soon after the initial trials we became aware that these devices are also "death traps" for birds, usually cavity nesting birds such as Western Bluebirds and Ash-throated Flycatchers. Within a short time the manufacturers provided a netting to cover the top opening, but we have found that these nettings quickly become dislodged and fall off. The message is ... if you use any kind of tree shelter for plant propagation purposes make sure that the tops have screens and that the screens are SECURELY (like with wire) fastened for the life of the tree shelter.

Good birding. Bob Keiffer