Heron Rookery in Santa Rosa

Dave <algott@...>

I know that this is out of our area, but it is so cool, that I wanted to share it, since I don't know how many of you subscribe to NBB. On Wednesday, I visited the Heron Rookery on W Ninth Street in Santa Rosa. There were easily over 100 birds: Great, Snowy, and Cattle Egrets and Black-crowned Night Herons. If you are going that way, it only takes about 5 minutes off the freeway. It takes less time than many places in our own county.

It is on W 9th, between Dutton and Stony Point. Go past the school heading west and it is primarily on two Eucalyptus trees in the center divider, and the surrounding trees, right in the middle of a surburban area. They have some orange plastic netting around the trees. You cannot miss it.

Dave Bengston
Ukiah