Common Poorwill - Flying Above Yard - Ocean Meadows

Karen Havlena <jkhavlena@...>

Fri, 20 January 2012 -- After the rain stopped this evening, a COMMON POORWILL
called loudly for several minutes above the house here in Ocean Meadows, just
north of Ten Mile River.  The lights had flickered a bit, so I was puzzled about the
call at first.  But, I played the song/call on my Cornell "Birdseye," and indeed it
was a Poorwill.  The Mendocino checklist has "CSc" (Coastal Scrub) as one of
only two options, but I have never heard of anyone hearing one before.  The air
temperature is getting warmer tonight, so maybe bugs are flying around.

George Chaniot said that he heard one in Potter Valley in February once.

Karen Havlena
North of Fort Bragg, MEN, CA