Intergrade Flicker at MCBG

carolynkinet

Wed.,Jan. 18: This morning during the monthly bird walk in the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens Toby Tobkin and I saw an intergrade NORTHERN FLICKER. The face pattern was of the Yellow-shafted species with black "moustache" and red spot on the nape, but the underwings when it flew off were reddish. It was on the south part of the "great lawn" where events are held, just before you go out to the headlands. Later on we checked out a Canada Goose flock at Moura's pond next door and saw one WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE and one CACKLING GOOSE among them.

Driving south later, Toby saw 5 HOODED MERGANSERS at the Caspar pond, 2 males and 3 females.

Carolyn Kinet
Inglenook