Clear Lake

Floyd Hayes

Yesterday I birded around Clear Lake with Doug Weidemann and Bryan McIntosh. I relocated the adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL in a flock of gulls out on the water off Austin Park in Clearlake. We watched it from 8:00-8:12 am. There were a few thousand gulls at Redbud Park in the morning, which we scrutinized. Eventually I spotted a possible 1st-cycle Lesser Black-backed Gull out in the water. We studied it for 45 minutes, hoping it would come in closer, but it never flew and remained too distant to be certain of its identity (I posted some photos on the Calgulls listserve). At Pirate's Cove in Clearlake Park, Doug found a female BARROW'S GOLDENEYE along the beach beside the road. Along the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff Road at the north end of the lake we saw a possible American X Eurasian Green-winged Teal (broad, creamy horizontal stripe and white vertical stripe).

Floyd Hayes
Hidden Valley Lake, CA