12/13: Montane birding Hull to Bald Mountains

Chuck & Barbara Vaughn

Greetings Mendobirders- Yesterday Jerry White and I were able to get up
into the montane areas of southern Mendocino NF on road M1. The road is
in good shape, although 4 WD is necessary to navigate the icy snow on the
road. If you do go, you might want to consider cutting a Xmas tree
because the birding was slowwwww. It is winter up there! We were driving
in several inches of snow most of the trip on top. In nearly 4 hours of
birding between Hull Mt and 2 miles E of Bald Mt, we saw 13 bird species
and about 50 individuals. "Highlights" were an adult male Acorn
Woodpecker at Brushy Point, 5600' and not a sound acorn for miles, and
great looks at a soaring juvenile Northern Goshawk just S of Hull Mt in
Lake County. Other birds seen on top: Red-tailed Hawk, Northern Flicker,
Pileated Woodpecker, Steller's Jay, Common Raven, Mountain Chickadee,
Red-breasted Nuthatch, Townsend's Solitaire (LAK), Spotted Towhee, Fox
Sparrow (all "sooty"), and Dark-eyed Junco.

Chuck Vaughn and Jerry White

--
Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
Ukiah, CA