Black Oystercatchers

Robert Keiffer <rjkeiffer@...>

22 November 2011 - Tuesday - This morning as I was returning from the coast, and after having delightful discussions about Black Oystercatchers with Ron LeValley and Charlene McAllister about last spring's first-time-ever BLOY breeding survey, I noticed a group of them at Van Damme beach so I stopped to count them. At Van Damme beach there were 46 together on the beach, and then minutes later I counted 45 at Salmon Creek Beach ... for a total of 91 Black Oystercatchers observed within ½ hour ...and with no possible repeat birds. That has to be one of the all time high counts ever. If anyone has higher counts from Mendocino County I would be interested in knowing.

There was also a multitude of gulls ... California, Herring, Western, and Thayer's at Van Damme also. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

Oh ...correction from my Hull Mountain/Boardman Ridge report from yesterday morning (reporting an 11/18 trip) .... I mistakenly reported a Townsend's Warbler on Boardman Ridge and I meant a Townsend's Solitaire. Sorry for the confusion.