Lake Mendocino

George Chaniot

Fri, 11 Nov 2011 -- I did a complete survey of Lake Mendocino today.
Western/Clake's Grebes topped the list with about 622 birds. American Coots
were next with 353, and there was an unusual number of Double-crested
Cormorants, 182. Of particular interest was a first-winter THAYER'S GULL at
the south marina, a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE and a SNOW GOOSE at the Oak
Grove Parking Lot, and some COMMON GOLDENEYES near the boat-in campground.
On the return trip to Potter Valley I found, alas, a roadkilled
RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW along Potter Valley Road.

George Chaniot
Potter Valley, MEN, CA