Black-crowned Night Heron

Robert Keiffer <rjkeiffer@...>

27 May 2011 - I just saw an adult Black-crowned Night Heron on the pond across from Fern Canyon Road on Old River Road. This is about two miles south of Talmage. It is of interest because we have the traditional winter roost of 30+ birds near Oak Manor at Ukiah, yet we have no documented records of the species nesting in the county. There are records of summer-time juveniles ...but ones that can already fly ... but no actual nests have been found. This adult bird today tells me that we have a nesting colony somewhere near, maybe along the Russian River in the willows?? They will also nest in expanses tules/cattails (maybe Hunters' lagoon at Manchester State Beach for example). Anyway, please keep an eye out for Black-crowned Night Herons going to and from and area during crepuscular (dawn and dusk) time periods. Hopefully someone will locate a nest colony this season so we can include it in our county-wide effort of "heronry" surveys. Good birding. Bob Keiffer