PAS Thurs 5/19: Matthew Matthiessen on Alaska

Cheryl Watson

Alaska: abundant life in barren landscapes

The incomparable Matthew Matthiessen will return to Ukiah from Mammoth Lakes to present his unique impressions of Alaska. Join Peregrine Audubon on Thursday, May 19, 7 p.m. at the Ukiah Civic Center for his beautiful photography of Alaska, the Pribilof Islands and its wildlife. It wasn't the majestic, glacier-covered mountains or the forest clad inlets that left an impact on Mattiessen, but rather the abundant birds and mammals set against the desolate and barren landscape.

Matthiessen describes it, "This was my first trip to Alaska and I was absolutely amazed at how fantastic it was. I went in May/June of 2010 and visited Homer, Nome, and St Paul Island. The reason to go to St Paul was to see Red-legged Kittiwake, but the thing that made it so special were the huge seabird colonies nesting on the cliffs. It was truly one of the most incredible birding experiences of my life. Nome was great for the handful of Asian species that just make it across the Bering Strait and breed on the western edge of AK. The mammals were a revelation as well."

This Peregrine Audubon sponsored presentation is free to the public, though donations will be welcome. The Ukiah Civic Center is located at 300 Seminary Avenue. To support Peregrine Audubon Society and receive a newsletter with regular announcements about programs and field trips, please send $20 to PAS, P.O. Box 311, Ukiah, CA 95482. For more information on a wide variety of topics related to birding and conservation in Mendocino County please go to www.peregrineaudubon.org.