Northern Lake County

jerry white

On Tuesday April 26th I birded the Lake Pillsbury/Hull Mt area. There were good numbers of singing Nashville, Hermit and Yellow Warblers. Cassin's and Warbling Vireos were also easily found.
On the way up on Elk Mt. Road there was a Townsend's Solitaire. On Hull Mt. there were 4-5 more Townsend's Solitaires, Mt. Chickadees, at least 3 singing "Thick-billed" Fox Sparrows (this is somewhat early for Lake County) and at least 4 Red-breasted Sapsuckers.
Missing on the day were Western Wood-Pewee, Olive-sided Flycatcher, and Dusky Flycatcher.

The two best birds of the day (both difficult to find in Lake County anywhere except in the Snow Mt. area) were a Hammond's Flycatcher seen along the Eel River at Benmore Creek and a Cassin's Finch found on Hull.
However, easily the best discovery of the day was a FISHER seen on Hull Mt. mid-morning. A new life mammal for me. Jerry White