Am Avocets & Am Dippers, Pacific Golden-Plover & Others

Karen Havlena <jkhavlena@...>

Wed, 22 Sept 2010 -- At Usal Camp, five AMERICAN AVOCETS were watched
by Chuck Vaughn, George Chaniot and myself, floating/swimming just beyond
the small, breaking waves at Usal Camp beach.  None of us could remember
seeing Am Avocets actually out on the water.  They maintained this behavior for
about 30 minutes, before flying from side to side of Usal cove.

We stopped at Wages Creek, just north of Westport on Hwy 1, where we saw
two AMERICAN DIPPERS, one adult and one immature.  George commented
that the adult was chasing the young bird over the creek, perhaps hoping that
the immature would venture out on its own.

Later on Wednesday, I spotted a pale PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER on a large,
flat rock near the north end of Ward Ave, Cleone.  Also, in the adjacent surf,
Chuck located a HARLEQUIN DUCK.

At Laguna Point, MacKerricher SP, there was a enduring feeding frenzy that
included: POMARINE & PARASITIC JAEGERS, SOOTY SHEARWATERS,
and SABINE'S GULLS.  It was definitely a high point of the day's birding.

Karen Havlena, Chuck Vaughn and George Chaniot