Mendocino Coast Audubon pelagic results 9/19

Rob Fowler

Hi all,
Below is the ebird report for yesterdays pelagic sponsored by Mendocino Coast Audubon aboard the "Telstar." Leaders were Bob Keiffer, John Sterling, and myself, Rob Fowler. Thanks to all the participants for a great time!

Location: Offshore pelagic (MEN Co.)
Observation date: 9/19/10
Notes: Mendocino Coast Audubon fall pelagic trip. Seas were calm so we headed southwest towards Navarro Canyon. We went to 21 miles offshore to where the water temperature shot up to 59 degrees and many albacore were present here but few birds. Heavy drizzle to rain in the morning to partly cloudy sunny skies in the afternoon. Overall a nice trip, especially for the jaegers.

Other animals: Northern Fur Seal-3, Dall's Porpoise-16 (1 melanistic individual seen), Pacific White-sided Dolphin- 10, Northern Right-whale Dolphin-5, Ocean Sunfish-10, Blue Shark-5.

Number of species: 22

Brant (Black) 55 2 flocks seen migrating over open ocean.
Black-footed Albatross 15
Northern Fulmar 10
Pink-footed Shearwater 55
Flesh-footed Shearwater 1
Buller's Shearwater 12
Sooty Shearwater 20
Ashy Storm-Petrel 1 Seen by few observers.
Pelagic Cormorant 1
Red-necked Phalarope 12
Red Phalarope 63 Most seen on the return trip.
Sabine's Gull 94 Many were flying south on the return trip.
Western Gull 60
California Gull 30
Common Tern 7
Arctic Tern 3
Common/Arctic Tern 4
South Polar Skua 9 Good number for the day!
Pomarine Jaeger 8
Parasitic Jaeger 20
Long-tailed Jaeger 70 By far the most common jaeger today with most ages seen and some groups sitting on the water.
jaeger sp. 25
Common Murre 8
Rhinoceros Auklet 110

Thanks,