migrating White-throated Swifts

Robert J. Keiffer <rjkeiffer@...>

16 September 2010 - This morning at 10:30 AM I was surprised to see a large
swift banking in front of my vehicle at eye level here at the UC-Hopland
Research & Extension Center. My knee-jerk reaction of slamming on the
brakes and fumbling for my binoculars revealed two White-throated Swifts
flying 30 to 100 feet high over chaparral habitat with a western aspect.
The elevation was 1770'. Strangely, the one bird seemed to be heading
north, however, as they dropped in elevation they were back-dropped by hills
and vegetation and I lost track of them after about 30 seconds. I have
seen fall-migrating Black Swifts here in years past at similar elevation,
but there was no mistaking the white flanks and light underparts on these
birds despite the brief view. I believe this the first record of
White-throated Swift for the UC-HREC. Good birding. Bob Keiffer