Common Moorhens at Mendocino College

George Chaniot

Mon, 01 Jun 2009 -- Having some time to kill at Mendocino College this
afternoon, I went to the "Rail Pond" to take a look. I was surprised to
find a COMMON MOORHEN. I have not seen them there since late March. As I
was watching the bird at the east end of the pond, I heard another calling
from the cattails on the south side. I presume that these are the same two
birds that wintered here. During the 50 minutes that I watched the pond I
had a moorhen in view less than 10% of the time. I heard them call about 10
times.
Having two birds in the right habitat at the right time of year is the
lowest level evidence of possible nesting. This bears further observation
since I don't believe there is a Mendocino breeding record to date.

George Chaniot
Potter Valley, MEN, CA