Gulls and Geese - Fort Bragg Area

Karen Havlena <jkhavlena@...>

Thur, 8 Jan 2009 -- There was a possible 1st cycle Glaucous Gull
just north of the Laguna Point parking lot this morning, but all I could
see was the head and bill.  The bird was just over a rise in the sand,
but the bill was pink with a clean black tip, and the head was very
light (but not pure white) and looked larger than the heads of Western
gulls.  There was also a Herring and a Thayer's there.

Out on Bald Hill Rd off Pudding Creek Rd, there were two Greater
White-fronted Geese and several Cackling Geese among the Canadas.
Two of the Cackling Geese were definitely minima and one was an
Aleutian.  I could not tell the race of three others.

Karen A Havlena
Fort Bragg, CA