Thayer's Gull continues

George Chaniot

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 -- The first winter THAYER'S GULL is still at the south
boat ramp area at Lake Mendocino. Today I walked out onto the lakebed and
got scope-filling views in good light at 50 feet. It was the best
opportunity I've ever had to study this plumage well. At times I had it
side-by-side with 1st winter Ring-billed, California, Herring, and
Glaucous-winged Gulls. It also hung out in the parking lot among other
gulls, but was run off by cars from time to time. There were about 75
California Gulls, and they were returning over the dam from the direction of
Ukiah. In Ukiah the only concentration of gulls I could find was in the
parking lot of Carl's Jr. and on the roof of Dorsey's Body Shop next door -
all adult Californias -- George Chaniot