Horned Larks - Laguna Point, MacKerricher SP

Karen Havlena <jkhavlena@...>

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 - Mid to late afternoon, I saw two HORNED LARKS
just south of the tip of Laguna Point.  Both birds were fairly plain, but
one of them had yellow lores, superciliums and throat.  They were
scared over to a large, short grass-covered "island" about 40 meters
south of the point.
Above the exposed rocks, about 20 MEW GULLS were hawking
insects like nighthawks, and offshore many Pacific Loons and Western
Grebes flew south.
It was a fabulous afternoon, warm, still and crystal clear!  A great day
to finally get the Horned Larks for my MEN list.

In the morning at high tide, the two Rock Sandpipers could not be
found, according to Toby Tobkin.  They still could be there, or maybe
a couple more will arrive soon.

Karen A Havlena
North of Fort Bragg, CA